Epsilon-8100 is a managed Layer 2+ Ethernet switch module offering eight 10/100/1000Mbps copper twisted pair ports on a PC/104 form-factor board.
Epsilon can be used standalone, without any connection to a single board computer, or in conjunction with a host CPU. The module’s built-in microcontroller handles configuration and management. On-board memory holds dual application images, boot code, MAC addresses, and other parameters, and can also be used for program execution.
An RS-232 serial port enables communication between the module’s on-board management microcontroller and a host processor for out-of-band management. Epsilon’s built-in microcontroller is also accessible via a web management interface over one of the Ethernet ports. This port is then shared for simultaneous web management and normal usage.
Input power can be provided through the built-in, wide-range +5-36VDC power supply, enabling operation using industrial power sources.
Epsilon’s advanced Ethernet switch board includes two innovative features that enable automatic power savings. The switch can detect unused Ethernet ports on network devices and power them down or place them in stand-by mode. Additionally, the switch actively adjusts the power level needed based on cable length, saving energy on links shorter than the 100m maximum specified length.
Epsilon is loaded with all required firmware, enabling its immediate operation without any development effort. The included web interface provides an intuitive GUI for use in configuring and managing switch functionality.
Epsilon is available with two different thermal solutions; a heatspreader and heatsink option, both of which supports fanless operation over -40°C to +85°C.
- 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports with non-blocking wire-speed performance
- Built-in microcontroller for configuration and management
- RS-232 serial port provides out-of-band management interface
- 8K MAC addresses and 4K VLANs (IEEE 802.1Q), as well as 8K IP multicast group support
- Jumbo frame support at all speeds
- Programmable multi-layer classifier with 4 QoS classes
- DSCP remarking for both IPv4 and IPv6 frames
- Flexible link aggregation support based on Layer-2 through Layer-4 information (IEEE 802.3ad)
- Latching I/O connectors for improved ruggedness
- Wide input voltage range: +5-36VDC
- -40°C to +85°C operating temperature
- PC/104 form factor board